Thursday, February 5, 2009

I Am Job

Mrs_Doubtfire-front[1]
In the movie “Mrs. Doubtfire”, Robin Williams plays a funny scene where he is calling his ex-wife with prank phone calls. He pretends to be a non-English speaking caller and tells her in a fake accent, “I am job.”

The first time I saw that scene I laughed just like everyone else. As I have looked back on that line, it doesn’t strike me as funny as it once did. I can so easily imagine those very words coming out of my mouth, “I am job.”

During this time of year I am very busy at work. It’s the middle of winter, its dark when I leave home and dark when I get back. None of my day is spent simply being myself. Its completely spent in the service of others.

At home I cook, eat, clean up, do laundry and hit the sack for a few short hours before starting all over again. I live alone so I don’t have anyone to talk to about how their day went. I just ruminate on and replay everything that happened to me at work. I am job.

I’m not expecting sympathy. Trust me, I am very happy to have a job in these difficult economic times. I can think of at least two people in my close circle of friends that are currently looking for work. I simply acknowledge that I don’t balance my work life and personal life very well. I identify too much with what I do and not enough with who I am.

I think most of us in the US are in this situation. US workers spend more time at work than any other country. US workers take less vacation time than any other country. This leaves all of us with the humbling question, “If we spend all of our time at work, who are we when we are not working?” It creates a warped sense of self. I want to feel that I am NOT job. I am me.

Photo Credit: Ludovic0077 at Flickr

No comments: