Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Mama Mia!


Wow! What a great show. My last post was about "The Producers" and I thought it was fun. But, I was totally awed by "Mama Mia!" I'm not the most savvy individual concerning musical theatre but I thought this show was far better than "The Producers". Once again I saw the show at the Walton Arts Center in Fayetteville, Arkansas. I've really enjoyed the quality of performances they've booked into that venue. I hope it continues.


I'm not very familiar with the music of ABBA. Yes, I know they were a band from the 70's/80's. As a friend said to me earlier today, "It was roller rink music," for us. If the show had been about the band it would have been a real snoozer. Instead, there was a sweet, happy story that everyone can identify with in some way. Since I'm approaching that mid-life thing I really enjoyed the idea that all of us are young at heart. For a moment I embraced my inner rock star. But, I'll be outraged if anyone suggests I'm a "Dancing Queen."


The female lead was quite the diva. In this production the actress was Laurie Wells. Her solo on "The Winner Takes it All" was spine-tingling. Of course, I would be negligent if I didn't give credit to the outrageous characters created by Lisa Mandel as Tanya and Laura Ware as Rosie. They were absolutely hysterical in their roles and the musical numbers were real show-stoppers.


I've been to a few musical theatre productions. I'm no expert but I've seen my share. This show is the first where I've seen audience members dancing and singing along with the music. Even geriatric old ladies were standing with arms in the air swaying to the beat. I loved every minute of it. I would see it again in a heartbeat. I even bought the expensive super deluxe program and the CD.

No comments: