Saturday, June 23, 2007

Painting Balls



Okay, does the silly title of this entry catch your attention? (giggle) Here's the story. I've lately felt my technique was getting a little rusty. I've been drawing and painting and practicing with various techniques but I've just not been happy with the results. So, I decided to take myself back to school, so to speak. Maybe it would be a good idea to practice the basics again for awhile. I recently bought a new book on painting portraits in acrylic (my primary interest as you know). It's a book by Lee Hammond, one of my favorites. Some may feel Hammond is sophomoric in her approach. Some may see her as a commercial sell-out rather than a legitimate artist. Trust me, I've thought the same thing. But, you have to admit, her books are sold on the same shelves as the heavy weights in drawing like Anthony Ryder and Burne Hogarth. I've learned a lot by reading her books. I'll stick with her a little longer. After this I'll try the exercises in painting individual features and practice with different color mixtures for a variety of skin tones. After that, I'll pick a subject and try again. Wish me luck.

No comments: